[Chicago] ANN: ChiPy at ITA Thu January 13, 7p

Carl Karsten carl at personnelware.com
Tue Jan 11 16:11:41 CET 2011

ChiPy
=========================

When: 7 PM Thursday January 13, 2011
Where: ITA

Best meeting ever!

Topics
------
 1. 7:00 ROS - Robot Operating System (Brian Ray and Bill Mania)
 2. 8:00 Django Deployment for the Average Bloke (Carl Karsten)
 3. 8:45 Vintage 1978 Superboard II hacking with some Python3 and ZeroMQ (David Beazley)

Details
-------

1. ROS - Robot Operating System
Brian Ray and Bill Mania
ROS is the Robot Operating System, originally from Stanford and
now supported by Willow Garage. ROS has a mature Python interface
and is being used around the world by both amateur and
professional roboticists. At the end of the presentation, if time
allows and interest exists, some rudimentary ROS functionality
will be demonstrated on a robot in progress.

2. Django Deployment for the Average Bloke
Carl Karsten
Deploying a Django/Pinax site on the following stack:

Linux Debian Lenny
Apache mod_wsgi
PostgreSQL

This is the config you want to use if you don't know what you want to use.  You don't need to make any choices, you don't have to do any research, and you don't even need to read the docs if you don't want to.

And as an added bonus, I show how to wget a vm image to deploy into with network ports exposed.  It is very much like working with a hosting provider like Slice Host, and it makes a great framework for testing server installs.

3. Vintage 1978 Superboard II hacking with some Python3 and ZeroMQ
David Beazley
 I'm not sure if we're still looking for talks on Thursday, but if so, I'd like to volunteer to give a talk about using Python to do some retro-computing hacking involving my vintage 1978 Superboard II.   It's not exactly robotics, but it involves hardware and a lot of low-level hacking (along with some Python3 and ZeroMQ thrown in for good measure ;-).

Location
--------
Illinois Technology Association (ITA)
200 S. Wacker Drive
15th Floor
Chicago, IL 60606

312.435.2805
http://www.illinoistech.org

Metra: exit on Adams St, walk East across the bridge, first door on the right.

Show your ID to security.  Be on the list or they will be sad.
http://chipy.org/FrontPage#sign-up

About the group
ChiPy is made up of people of all levels of programming and Python knowledge. At every meeting we have had both beginning programmers, people who are just starting to use Python, as well as experienced Python programmers. Don't be intimidated about coming to a meeting.