[Chicago] Dedicated Server Hosting Recommendations?

skip at pobox.com skip at pobox.com
Tue Mar 22 16:51:39 CET 2011

    Malcolm> I'm on the hunt for the "best" price/performance for dedicated
    Malcolm> (non-managed) server hosting.  Does anyone have any
    Malcolm> recommendations?

I use tummy.com.  I'm sure they are not the cheapest, and my virtual host
was created several years ago and probably doesn't run on state-of-the-art
hardware anymore, but they do a bang-up job keeping my OS up-to-date and
squashing network problems.  They also offer dedicated hosting if that's
what you want.

On top of that, Sean Reifschneider, co-founder and CTO, is involved in the
Python community generally, and more specifically, he keeps many parts of
the python.org hardware infrastructure coherent and up-to-date.  (I think he
almost single-handedly rescued the wireless network at PyCon 2008.)  This
being open source, he does all that for free, so I like to think I'm paying
him back in some small way for his largesse.

I should also point out that my son works for Gigenet in Arlington Heights.
I'm sure I could get a better deal there (maybe even free), but I consider
my money well-spent at tummy.com.

Here's /proc/cpuinfo from my virtual server:

    $ cat /proc/cpuinfo
    processor       : 0
    vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
    cpu family      : 6
    model           : 23
    model name      : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad  CPU   Q9550  @ 2.83GHz
    stepping        : 7
    cpu MHz         : 2826.250
    cache size      : 6144 KB
    fdiv_bug        : no
    hlt_bug         : no
    f00f_bug        : no
    coma_bug        : no
    fpu             : yes
    fpu_exception   : yes
    cpuid level     : 10
    wp              : yes
    flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca
    cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss nx lm constant_tsc up
    arch_perfmon pebs bts pni ssse3 cx16 sse4_1 lahf_lm
    bogomips        : 5652.50
    clflush size    : 64
    power management:

    Malcolm> Also, does anyone have experience using dedicated servers
    Malcolm> overseas for hosting?  Is this something I should consider or
    Malcolm> absolutely stay away from (given that most traffic will be
    Malcolm> coming from the US)?

The python.org servers (except for bugs.python.org) are hosted at XS4ALL.net
in the Netherlands.  I don't know if they offer retail hosting (I don't read
Dutch), but if they do, they obviously have the capability to host busy
servers which have large amounts of US-based traffic.

--
Skip Montanaro - skip at pobox.com - http://www.smontanaro.net/