[Chicago] Reading From a Directory

Carl Karsten carl at personnelware.com
Tue May 10 02:57:03 CEST 2011

the shell comment has me so befuddled I wasn't sure how to address it :)

Oh yeah, something else:

The python language is pretty simple.  It can do some math,  has a
bunch of syntax for manipulating lists and dictionaries, flow control
and class / function definitions.  This is the stuff that every single
program needs.  everything else is pushed off into a module.  That
doesn't make things in modules any worse, it's just means the stuff
you aren't using isn't cluttering memory and name spaces.

and whoever said to do "from foo import *" should be sent to the corner.

On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 7:34 PM, eviljoel <eviljoel at linux.com> wrote:
> Hello Carl,
>
> Well, if it was delegating to a shell, you might not have a shell
> running to delegate to.  But as you said, it looks like it is calling
> the operating system which pretty much has to be there.
>
> Later,
> EJ
>

> On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 7:20 PM, Carl Karsten <carl at personnelware.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 7:01 PM, Clyde Forrester
>> <clydeforrester at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Outsourcing something that fundamental to a shell or module still bugs me,
>>
>> that statement bugs me :)
>>
>> os.listdir() is an interface between the python vm and the OS's api to
>> do what you want.  It is about as elegant as you can get.  Curious:
>> what bugs you about it?
>>

>> --
>> Carl K

Carl K