[Chicago] tell us how you do something

W. Matthew Wilson matt at tplus1.com
Tue May 10 17:45:50 CEST 2011

I run production from a checkout of a branch named "maint", short for
maintenance.

Then I have a master branch.  Usually, if I'm really OCD, I'll make a
separate branch off master for each feature or bug.  Then I merge the
topic into master as I finish.  Most of the time, I just develop
directly on master though.

I got all these ideas by reading the git workflows manual page.  If
you have an hour, read this:

$ git help workflows

I use fabric to do my production upgrades.  My fabric script does this:

1.  Make an SSH connection to the production box
2.  Tell supervisord to stop the webapp and the background scripts
3.  Do $ git pull origin maint; # think svn up if you're not familiar with git.
4.  Tell supervisord to start the webapp and the background scripts.

Sometimes I have to do stuff like alter the database schema, or use
easy_install to pull some new packages, or maybe do other sysadmin
tasks.  I'm still experimenting with how to do that stuff elegantly.

I'm probably going to do a talk at PyOhio this summer on using python
for system administration and deployment.  Right now I'm looking for
interesting (non-trivial) tasks that people want to automate but don't
know how to.

So, please, let me know if you face a thorny problem.

Matt