[Chicago] BSON

sheila miguez shekay at pobox.com
Sun Sep 4 22:14:40 CEST 2011

On Sat, Aug 27, 2011 at 10:11 AM, Jeremy McMillan
<jeremy.mcmillan at gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't use Mongo (yet), but I wonder if anyone really notices the cycles
> lost to encoding/decoding JSON?

Some do. I don't know if anyone has data handy for python, but the jvm
I've looked at what this project has collected on json, protobuf, etc.
http://github.com/eishay/jvm-serializers/wiki/

I seem to remember Garrett giving a loosey goosey talk on avro but I
don't remember if he talked about performance. Probably talked more
about being able to communicate with disparate systems instead. that's
the cooler part of picking one of these things.

I talk to some java services that communicate with protobufs over
http, but if you ask for json they'll give it to you. json is handier
when I talk in python, since I don't have to go through the trouble of
compiling the proto messages to python first. There is no noticeable
performance hit in that situation. But I'm just being casual there. If
I cared about how big the messages were and etc it would be another
matter and I wouldn't use json.

--
sheila