[Chicago] [ANN] ChiPy receives sponsorship

sheila miguez shekay at pobox.com
Wed Sep 21 17:00:20 CEST 2011

On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 9:22 AM, Brian Ray <brianhray at gmail.com> wrote:
[snip]
> I think they were particularly interested in things like our educational and
> mentoring programs as well as our traditional monthly meetings.
> How will we spend?
[snip]

I would like to have a pystar event and an openhatch event. I would
also like to see people graduate from those in to more advanced mentor
ship projects. I like the plover project and they need some new
features. Maybe Chris would also like more involvement in mediagoblin
and openhatch would feed nicely in to that.

I had not approached this list yet for the pystar/openhatch event
because I am not ready for it. I lack experience in running these
things and mentoring people, so what I am doing right now is helping
some people I met in another group mentor some students at Columbia
college for the apps4metro 2nd stage competition. I want mentoring
myself in being a mentor. So, I'd like to get some practice first
before moving ahead with this.

I was going to check my budget to see if it would be possible to have
some of the people (or maybe just one person) who has put on a pystar
or openhatch event before fly in and help for the weekend of the event
(I could probably manage a flight and a room, I hope). But if you
think this is a good idea maybe we could ask the sponsor if they are
okay with it. Incidently, I was going to float the idea as a PSF
sprint thing to see if they think it qualifies for one of those
mini-grants.

Btw, more detail on pystar/openhatch. I don't want alpha-geeks taking
it over and running the show because I feel that alpha-geeks tend to
take over discussions and drive things, and not everyone thrives in
that environment. People who do thrive in that environment are already
involved, typically. Since I would love to see people who do not fit
the typical profile of the type of alpha-geeks we have, I'd like to
have the folks running the show not be that profile. Which is why I
was thinking of calling in outside help from people who have already
run these events so that we could learn from them.

--
sheila