[Chicago] Linux System's Engineer

Brian Ray brianhray at gmail.com
Mon Apr 9 21:35:19 CEST 2012

>From a ChiPy sponsor. I can provide more details in person or over chat.
Feel free to contact me or forward.

Cheers, Brian

----

Linux Systems Engineer

We are currently seeking a Linux Systems Operations Engineer to join a
creative, high-
energy and fast paced systems operations team that provides support to a
consumer-facing web consulting
company. Though the team is growing, it has maintained its small, startup
feel. The systems operations
team is responsible for the day-to-day operations of different production,
office, and development/testing
environments. Typical issues range from troubleshooting network issues and
performing backup audits, to
testing new protocols and services. We value quality, reliable code and are
open to new ideas and architectures.
Communication and collaboration are essential.

Essential Functions

   - Support different web applications written in PHP and Python.
   - Evaluate, influence, and implement new technologies periodically
   - Oversee all aspects of different environments, including architectural
   design, capacity planning,performance analysis, monitoring and
   troubleshooting
   - Work with the development team to improve the performance and
   reliability of client websites
   - Build self-maintaining environments through tool development and
   automation
   - Own the reliability of the user-facing experience
   - Participate in rotating on-call schedule to provide 24x7 website
   support

Minimum Qualifications

   - BA/BS (or equivalent work experience) in Information
   Systems/Technology or related field
   - 3 years of relevant work experience in a production environment
   - Mastery of Hardware, Networking, Unix (Linux), & Scripting (ideally,
   python)

Preferred Qualifications

5 years of relevant work experience in a production environment for a
dot-com company
Working Experience with the following:
o Virtualization
o Database (MySQL and/or Oracle)
o Web application protocols: SMTP, DNS, HTTP, SMTP, proxies
o Performance/Application Monitoring & Reporting
o Process Management
o Security
Knowledge of the following:
o Configuring web application servers
o Technical troubleshooting & Debugging
o Load Testing
o High-Availability Architectures
o Process Management
o Security (Network, System, Application)

--
Brian Ray
@brianray