[Chicago] OT - Chicago Python Workshop

sheila miguez shekay at pobox.com
Sun Aug 19 16:58:38 CEST 2012

Cool cool cool.

The pragmatic LIVE programming sounds like a good idea.

I also heard from some people that they want more beginner stuff -- we
had some programmers who didn't know python mixed in with people who
weren't programmers so maybe the class went a little too fast in
places. Next I think we should have a This Time It's Hello where I
will do Stroop Effect experiments on people and kick them out if their
reaction time proves that they are programmers.

OMG OMG OMG Thanks for helping everyone.

Ps. I wonder if there really is an equivalent of a Stroop effect for
programming that we can try.

On Sun, Aug 19, 2012 at 7:45 AM, Christopher Allan Webber
<cwebber at dustycloud.org> wrote:
> I've heard good things also from some people who attended.  I'm really
> thrilled to hear this went well!  :)
>
>  - Chris
>
> Aisha Halim writes:
>
>> So, thanks everyone from ChiPy for spreading the word regarding this
>> workshop: http://www.meetup.com/Chicago-Python-Workshop/events/72904002/.
>> We had a great time despite the network issues (I think people learned
>> stuff...and got to meet new people, etc).
>>
>> Also thanks Carl for getting Jason -- I freaked out.
>>
>> We made announcements about various usergroups in the end of the
>> workshop so that people could, after getting their hands a little
>> dirty in code, go to some future ChiPy/PS1 etc meetings. Sheila's
>> going to do a closing email to the attendees with all the links, so if
>> you have anything to add to our existing list here, please do so:
>> https://openhatch.org/wiki/Chicago_Python_Workshop_1#Future
>>
>> We also got a lot of feedback regarding ChiPy from a few people who go
>> already (but weren't really beginners -- just beginner programmers? I
>> heard two mentions of programming v. scripting which might be
>> something a lot of us who have been through the former, formally, take
>> for granted when setting up learning stuff/meetings/talks. So
>> something like, having a workshop like 'Pragmatic Programming, Live!',
>> might be nice?) about how great it is finding nerds who actually
>> understand you. Thanks for existing, in that respect, and going
>> consistently strong (best meetin--- http://i.imgur.com/Q4BEk.gif ).
>>
>> Feedback on our hosting this might be more useful data to you, so
>> results from Sheila's survey, we'll update here as well in case that
>> gives you an idea about where we could fall in next time, if there is
>> a next time.
>>
>> -Aisha

sheila