[Chicago] finding python programmers

Lance Hassan lance at roytalman.com
Wed Aug 29 20:15:22 CEST 2012

Cezar has it mostly right, the other problem is that even with base skills it’s the specifics that are a killer so just having Python or Java is not always enough, a lot of companies, especially in the high skill demand space (financials, prop shops, geo location [Navteq/Nokia]) have another piece and they aren’t always willing to train the other piece. They want to hire, drop the person in a chair and have them start earning their benefits package from day one. The other piece is the unspoken job description, Python maybe the prime requirement but…what they aren’t saying is that what they are willing to train is testers, i.e.…they need testers with python, in reality most programmers who are in fact bona fide coders don’t really want to be put (stuck, forced, crammed) into a tester role…unless they are unit testing their own code (maybe). I know, we have some of these as well as a bunch of Java spots and Linux/Python admins (I don’t post on forum boards, blasting jobs has never really worked). There are a lot of openings and I will discuss them with anyone (we prefer transparency) but the reqs are rarely as simple as Python programmer.