[Chicago] finding python programmers

Jeffery Smith jeff at allthingsdork.com
Wed Aug 29 22:13:18 CEST 2012

I must be working at the wrong companies. Free breakfast sounds like a
pretty nice perk to me. Especially with what Starbucks is charging.

This has all been great info. I'm not currently looking, but I do
occasionally I poke around and see what employers are looking for in a
Python developer. I find that the specifics are what typically kill me. I'm
not a FT programmer. All of my experience with Python is either from a
System Administrator standpoint or on personal web projects.

My question is do employers care about personal versus professional
experience considering the talent drought? I've been contemplating working
on a few projects for friends, just so I have something to point to on my
resume. I've heard mixed feedback from recruiters about referencing open
source project contributions.

Thoughts?