[Chicago] A sad day for our community. John Hunter: 1968-2012.

Carl Karsten carl at personnelware.com
Thu Aug 30 20:31:18 CEST 2012

Chris,

Off list, cuz I just want to let you know that you have a way with words.

I was chatting with a friend and passed on your post...

(12:40:40 PM) Cannuck: now I'm teary
(12:40:43 PM) Carl: yeah, me too
(12:40:46 PM) Cannuck: and I didn't know John
(12:41:03 PM) Carl: I heard bout him passing a few hours ago
(12:41:11 PM) Carl: sad, bummer, but it didn't hit me
(12:41:15 PM) Carl: that has me in tears
(12:41:44 PM) Carl: "though I only met John a handful of times,... "  same here.
(12:42:20 PM) Carl: i have done between 1000 and 2000 vids, so it's
not like I get all personal with the presenters
(12:43:41 PM) Cannuck: yeah but that hits it

On Thu, Aug 30, 2012 at 12:26 PM, Chris McAvoy <chris.mcavoy at gmail.com> wrote:
> Very sad to hear this. Although I only met John a handful of times, he had a
> big impact on my professional life (which ultimately bleeds into my personal
> life). In one of John's first presentations to ChiPy, he showed us how he
> was using Python and matplotlib to map brainwaves. He showed us a slide of
> an open human skull, with electrodes connected directly to a subject's
> brain. At the time, ChiPy was pretty new, and only a few people in the group
> were using Python in their professional lives. John's slide was a big deal
> to me...for years afterwards, when someone would ask if Python was really
> production ready, I'd reference that slide and say something like, "John
> Hunter uses it for brain surgery" (not entirely accurate,
> but...heh..artistic license)
>
> I saw John and his family in the parking lot of IKEA a few years ago, and
> thought for sure he wouldn't remember me, but he did, and was super nice.
>
> Thanks John, for the tools you built, the community you fostered, and the
> lives you changed.
>
> Chris
>
> On Thu, Aug 30, 2012 at 1:44 AM, Brian Ray <brianhray at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> This is very heart breaking news... John was at the very first unofficial
>> ChiPy meeting and presented several times over the years. Many of us know
>> him for his contributions and some of us as a friend. He was a brilliant
>> scientist, a thoughtful developer, and a kind soul. He will be missed.
>>
>> Thoughts with his family during this sad time.
>>
>> Rest in peace, John.

> @chmcavoy
> http://lonelylion.com

Carl K