[Chicago] Accepting nominations for chipy pycon attendees

Vern Ceder vceder at gmail.com
Wed Feb 8 21:28:57 CET 2012

I gave a day long tutorial to the Naperville Comp Sci teachers to help when
they switched to teaching Python a few years ago.

Sheila, I can put you in touch with Rose Hopkins who teaches at Naperville
North if you want to get any background on Alex Xu - if you'd like her
email, just let me know off list.

On Wed, Feb 8, 2012 at 1:40 PM, Brian Curtin <brian at python.org> wrote:

> On Feb 8, 2012 1:22 PM, "sheila miguez" <shekay at pobox.com> wrote:
> >
> > Greetings all,
> >
> > Chipy is able to sponsor three registrations for pycon. Please send
> > nominations to me, via email, or speak to me in person at the chipy
> > meeting on Thursday. Tell me a little bit about your who you are
> > nominating and why you would like them to attend pycon. Feel free to
> > nominate yourself.
> >
> > Please speak up for people who would not normally speak up for
> themselves.
> >
> > I will approach a few volunteers to help me sort through suggestions
> > after the meeting tomorrow.
> >
> > I realize this is last minute, and I apologize for that. We are a
> > little new at this, and didn't get our act together until today. Next
> > year we will do better. After pycon we can have a retrospective on how
> > to improve this process.
> >
> > Thanks kindly
> >
> > --
> > sheila
> I'll start with Alex Xu, the student from Naperville who kicked this all
> off. His father wrote to the PyCon organizers list about getting on a
> waiting list because he wanted to go, but unfortunately we don't have such
> a list with how full the conference is.
> I don't know Alex so I can't really speak up much for him, but it was
> great to have a high school student interested not only in Python but in
> coming to the conference. Given that he already planned to attend before
> this, I'd like for him to get some consideration.

Vern Ceder
vceder at gmail.com, vceder at dogsinmotion.com
The Quick Python Book, 2nd Ed - http://bit.ly/bRsWDW