[Chicago] Job Opportunity in Chicago - Trading Technologies

Brian Curtin brian at python.org
Wed Jan 4 20:25:46 CET 2012

If anyone's looking for a new job opportunity in Chicago, my
soon-to-be-former employer Trading Technologies is looking for someone
to replace me. It has been a great 5.5 years here - I've learned a
ton, got to work on cool stuff, and made some good friends - but I'm
taking a position elsewhere and want to make sure they get a good new
team member.

There isn't any formal job posting yet, but rather than wait on that
here's a little of what I did which is likely to be in-line with what
they're looking for:

* Develop testing infrastructure that the quality team can use
Part of my job was exposing APIs and building stuff that the testers
can use to do their work. This involved a number of things from
writing C extensions to wrap the product's C++ APIs to developing
frameworks and tools for all types of testing. Right now the main
thing has been solidifying the extensions so our quality guy (who's on
this list - hi Scott!) can bulk up the regression suite. If I was
sticking around, pretty soon I'd be back to working on a
multiprocessing-based client simulator to help test the load and
performance of thousands of clients on some beefy boxes (8, 16, 32
cores).

* Enhance and maintain a historical tick database server
The product I worked on records all types of trade information about
tons of financial instruments, which is then served to a charting
application. It's C++ on Windows, making use of boost and some new
C++11 stuff, some multithreading, and Berkeley DB. This side of work
has been a lesser percentage of my hybrid role of product developer
and automation developer, but it's a fun and interesting spot to be
in.

So, it's a mix of Python and C++ with both of those technologies being
on the leading edge. We've been using Python 3 since mid-2009, and
like I mentioned earlier we're making use of the newer C++ features on
VS2010 and are deploying to Server 2008.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. If you're interested in
the position, send me a resume and I'll get you in the right hands.

No recruiters.