[Chicago] Help deploying Satchmo with WSGI

Jonathan Hayward christos.jonathan.hayward at gmail.com
Tue Jul 3 02:34:53 CEST 2012

I am trying to deploy Satchmo with WSGI after being told it was the way to
go; I'd prefer FCGI but will go with anything that works. But deploying
Django has been the single most difficult area for me; I followed the
documentation for multiple kinds of installation and Gunicorn, for
instance, bailed immediately; it died as soon as it was started.

On django-users I wrote, slightly annoyed at a LMGTFY response,

Forgive me; I had already used search engine. The top (albeit 1.1) entry
for "django wsgi tutorial", which did not reference later versions, was
https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/1.1/howto/deployment/modwsgi/

My httpd.conf served up nothing but server errors (for this or any other
site) when I had, uncommented,

#<VirtualHost *:80>
    #ServerName steampunk.stornge.com
    #ServerAdmin cjshayward at pobox.com

#<Directory /home/jonathan/store>
#<Files wsgi.py>
#Order deny,allow
#allow from all
#</Files>
#</Directory>

#</VirtualHost>
#WSGIPythonPath /home/jonathan/store/
#WSGIScriptAlias / /home/jonathan/store/wsgi.py

My wsgi.py file, with the last two lines changed, is:

import os
import sys

os.environ.setdefault("DJANGO_SETTINGS_MODULE", "store.settings")

# This application object is used by the development server
# as well as any WSGI server configured to use this file.
sys.path.append('/home/jonathan/store')
import django.core.handlers.wsgi
application = django.core.handlers.WSGIHandler()

And a few days of Googling later, I find deployment more difficult than any
other part of building a Django site. Could you lmgtfy a query whose top
results will work?

Now in what I quoted, there is at least one presumable error; the last line
should call django.core.handlers.wsgi.WSGIHandler().

But I would greatly appreciate if some kind soul could tell me what I need
in Apache configuration (inside and outside of the virtual host), and what
my wsgi.py should have.

Thank you,
--
[image: Christos Jonathan Hayward] <http://jonathanscorner.com/>
Jonathan Hayward, an Orthodox Christian author.

*Amazon* <https://www.amazon.com/author/cjshayward> • Author
Bio<http://jonathanscorner.com/author/>
 • *Email <christos.jonathan.hayward at gmail.com>* •
Facebook<http://www.facebook.com/christos.jonathan.hayward>
 • Google Plus <http://jonathanscorner.com/plus> •
*Kindle<http://stornge.com/amazon>
* • LinkedIn <http://www.linkedin.com/in/jonathanhayward> •
Twitter<http://twitter.com/JonathansCorner>
 • *Web <http://jonathanscorner.com/>* • What's
New?<http://jonathanscorner.com/>
I invite you to visit my "theology, literature, and other creative works"
site. *See a random page! <http://random.jonathanscorner.com/>*