[Chicago] python workshops for beginners

sheila miguez shekay at pobox.com
Mon Jul 23 18:25:35 CEST 2012

On Mon, Jul 23, 2012 at 10:32 AM, Brian Curtin <brian at python.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 13, 2012 at 9:21 AM, sheila miguez <shekay at pobox.com> wrote:
[...]

> http://lgilchrist.com/how-we-got-50-women-to-our-hackathon/ has some
> great ideas and areas to consider when putting this event together.
>
> The "be student-friendly" part is especially important with the number
> of colleges we have in the area, but it may be a bit early since I can
> never remember when everyone goes back to school.

Thanks for the url and advice.

One of my coworkers who is helping has worked on Flourish in the past
at UIC, and she has helped get the word out to friends at UIC and
other colleges. I've seen people signing up on the meetup event who
mention being in college, so I think it helped.

Once we have the event we can see how well we got the word out to
students (and also beginners) by looking at who attended. If we don't
have many, we'll know we need to improve on recruitment. I already
think I need to do better at finding people new to programming,
because we have software developers who've signed up. I had expected
more beginners.

--
sheila