[Chicago] Per virtualenv environment variables

Adam "Cezar" Jenkins emperorcezar at gmail.com
Sat Jun 23 15:47:44 CEST 2012

At work I'm working on a new infrastructure. For various reasons, I really
like how Heroku does app local settings, but can't use Heroku. They are set
in the environment variables. For instance, I would use the Heroku command
like so

heroku config:add aws_key=1234567890

and I could pull that in side my Django settings file with env['aws_key']

So I've been wondering what the best way is to set environment variables on
a per virtualenv case? So far I've only come up with a custom activate
script, or code in my Django app that updates the env dictionary using a
.cfg or .yml file found in the virtualenv. I'm sure there's some python or
bash magic that would make it easier?