[Chicago] Congrats Frank Duncan

sheila miguez shekay at pobox.com
Mon May 14 17:15:21 CEST 2012

On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 9:47 AM, Brian Ray <brianhray at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 9:43 AM, Grant Rettke <grettke at acm.org> wrote:
>>
>> I wasn't able to attend. Why did Lisp win?
>>

> No, Frank won. We voted on the best presentation. It so happens he presented
> on Lisp.

I ranked his talk high. I also ranked some of the others. Pete's
presentation on coffeescript, for example.

I like the presentations where people have a visual demonstration of
code doing things. Frank took some python code, and had a slide where
he moved the elements around in to an AST and then showed how that
morphs in to lisp, and he did some cool overlay visualization (similar
to the talk where someone had a nice ascii arrow spiral). Pete's talk
had a live window where he talked and typed coffeescript at the same
time and you could see the resulting javascript in the adjoining
window. They both had good verbal blahblahblahs but the screen stuff
was good.

I ranked some of the other talks high as well (Brian had everyone vote
on a Likert type of scale, 1 to 5). I can't remember all of my
rankings!

lesson: animate your code when you give a talk.

oh! go is an interesting language! sort of reminds me of erlang too,
you can write things mentally sequentially and it handles the heavy
lifting for you, or perhaps I completely misunderstood that. I forgot
to go read up on it. (I guess I probbly ranked the go talk high too!)

--
sheila