[Chicago] Web test tools

Steve Schwarz steve at agilitynerd.com
Wed Nov 7 18:35:42 CET 2012

On Wed, Nov 7, 2012 at 11:27 AM, Garrett Smith <g at rre.tt> wrote:

> I need to put together a simple test regime for a series of web apps.
> I figure there'd be no shortage of excellent insight here!
>
> Honestly, the best way to describe the requirements would be curl +
> regex validation :)
>
> I want to hit a URL, probably a simple GET. Then validate that it's
> 200. Then apply pattern matching to the response body. Fail if
> anything isn't as expected.
>
> Performance isn't an issue, but the ability to run the tests in
> parallel might be a nice to have.
>
> This is all command line based. I'm not running it through a browser
> and there's no need to execute JavaScript anywhere for any reason.
>
> I've pretty much just talked myself into curl + grep, but any other
> thoughts/suggestions?
>
> Garrett

Python with urllib2 and re modules in a script should do the trick if you
want serial tests or use them to create a script taking url(s) as arguments
and run the script in batches in parallel.

Handy reference; http://www.voidspace.org.uk/python/articles/urllib2.shtml

Best Regards,
Steve
Blogs: http://agilitynerd.com/  http://tech.agilitynerd.com/