[Chicago] Factoring fun with functions in Python

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Wed Nov 14 18:36:13 CET 2012

On Wed, Nov 14, 2012 at 7:09 AM, Garrett Smith <g at rre.tt> wrote:

> While it's hard to avoid side effects entirely (e.g. printing to
> stdout is a side effect), we can certainly be aware of them and try to
> make our functions side effect free as much as possible. If we're
> purists, we can use a language like Haskell that handles this problem
> explicitly [2].

A blog post on functional languages vs. imperative (so-called):

http://worldgame.blogspot.com/2012/10/functionalism-versus-objectivism-again.html

I am using more Haskell myself in my curriculum writing (which writing I
gave a presentation about at Portland User Group last night, one of
two talks on teaching / learning Python).

Kirby

(in Portland, lurker on Chipy)