[Chicago] Python-heavy job opening

sheila miguez shekay at pobox.com
Fri Nov 23 18:56:35 CET 2012

On Fri, Nov 23, 2012 at 11:32 AM, Japhy Bartlett <japhy at pearachute.com> wrote:
> To me the biggest red flag here was, "Additional duties include server and
> workstation maintenance and setups, backups, networking, and some help
> desk."
>
> I'd read that as, "BTW, you'll be the only tech guy in the office, you'll
> have to maintain all of the servers, fix the wifi when it goes down, and
> hold the VP's hand when he manages to catch a virus."

Yeah, that was also something that worried me. Like Michael said
upthread, it does sound like a place that is used to having one person
that does all of the things that get perceived as "computer stuff". I
had a job somewhat like that in college, and it was a lot of fun and I
learned a lot, but I wouldn't be that person for just any place. It
would have to be freaking fantastic. For something freaking fantastic,
I would be willing to be paid considerably less.

I think the discussion on the list could help the recruiter manage his
expectations.

--
sheila