[Chicago] Python-heavy job opening

sheila miguez shekay at pobox.com
Tue Nov 27 20:53:33 CET 2012

On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 12:58 PM, T Wilson <wilson.tamarrie at gmail.com> wrote:
> hey Sheila,
>
>    What happened to the amateur python class you was going to put together?

I'm glad you asked.

Here's my state of the union of something.

1. ChipyFans
2. Chicago Python Workshop
3. Hack nights
4. Questions!

1. ChipyFans

First off, join the ChipyFans meetup group,
<http://www.meetup.com/ChiPyFans/>. I'm going to post future workshops
there and retire the meetup group I made. Other people will post
things there too, not just me. Infact, things are already there.

2. Chicago Python Workshop

We've had one so far, and are planning another in December. These both
are workshops for improving diversity in the python community, a la
Railsbridge, Boston Python Workshop, PyStar, etc. You can see the
curriculum and organization from the wiki home,
<https://openhatch.org/wiki/Chicago_Python_Workshop>.

In the future I'd like to be able to organize some more general
beginner workshops, and then also some intermediate ones.  But I have
to pace them out because I can't manage more than one every couple of
months. Maybe once I have more experience I can do them more
frequently. Right now I'm still learning a lot.

3. Hack nights

I want to make sure everyone knows about the non-workshop project
nights that happen around the city.

There are some non-workshop events I've been attending:

I've been trying to make it to all of the ps:one python office hours,
and started a wiki page for it,
<http://wiki.pumpingstationone.org/Python_Office_Hours>, I'd like to
have some pages up for starting points for people to follow based on
what they are interested in. For example, if someone doesn't have a
project, they could show up and follow a self-paced curriculum like
the Chicago Python Workshop's, which is completely for beginning
programming, or they could follow some other curricula, to be
determined. Around 5 to 10 people typically show up for office hours.
I actually expected a little more, maybe we should send out more
announcements? suggestions? Maybe it's just that people don't get to
that part of the city if they don't live around there?

I found out about OpenHack Wednesdays at FreeGeek
<http://freegeekchicago.org/calendar>, and I'm going to try to make
those at least once a month. I haven't been to one yet, but I heard
someone there teaches python, and has been teaching flask.

4. Questions

Why don't more of you show up at ps:one for python office hours?
Sometimes I see people ask questions on the mailing list, but they
don't show up to the office hours. When I started going to the office
hours, I expected more people to be there due to all the questions on
the mailing list. Is it because you didn't know about them? because of
the location? the time?

What kinds of topics would people like to have in a workshop? I would
like some pandas stuff.

Do we ever want a project night for a chipy meeting, or should chipy
meetings always be talks? The Boston group has project nights.

--
sheila