[Chicago] Introduce Yourself

Brian Hines brian at projectweekend.net
Wed Oct 3 04:07:59 CEST 2012

Hi,

I'm Brian Hines. My first exposure to Python was in the first Udacity CS101
class back in Feb 2012. I loved it. I tried learning other languages before
with little success. Professionally I have worked with SQL and databases
for the last 6 years and I'm pretty advanced in that department. Python
just clicked with me in a way other things didn't.

I have operated a Spotify based music site since Sept 2011 (
projectweekend.net). I originally built it in Drupal. After the class I
looked for ways to use Python on the web and found Django. I rebuilt the
site starting in May 2012 and finished it in July. With Python I was able
to use a lot of existing APIs from places like Last.fm, echonest and
Spotify to automatically gather meta data when we posted new stuff. No more
manually filling out a Drupal content form. It has been a success in my
book since I solved some key user issues. Sharing our favorite tunes isn't
painful anymore.

I have not attended a meeting yet but plan to. My work schedule gets hectic
sometimes. I'm making it a point to attend in the next month.

Anyone going to Webconf Chicago?

Brian :)

Sent from my iPhone