[Chicago] Status of wsgi

Jordan Bettis jordanb at hafd.org
Wed Oct 10 22:43:08 CEST 2012

On 10/09/2012 12:09 PM, Garrett Smith wrote:
> It's been a number of years now since I've built web stuff in Python
> (forgive me) but last I checked, wsgi was still the dominant force in
> Python land for anything web.
>
> With Python 3, web sockets, crazed fixation on async socket servers,
> etc. I'm wondering if that's still the case. Has wsgi been able to
> keep up with the latest trends, or is it falling over? Is there
> another standard in Python land that shows more promise or growth
> trajectory?
>
> I ask because I'm researching some options for a similar spec for the
> Erlang community -- and I'd like to catalog the good and bad of
> Python's (much more mature) web ecosystem.

WSGI doesn't support async and for that reason neither tornado nor
twisted use it. Tornado has a wsgi-client request handler, which is nice
if you want to have a site that is built on wsgi, but need to extend it
to handle some requests asynchronously.

WSGI is dominant insofar as the dominant web frameworks (django
especially) use it. And there hasn't been a lot of pressure for them to
support async.

Given what I know about Erlang, WSGI would probably not be a good model
for an erlang-based web gateway interface. Maybe look at twistedweb?