[Chicago] Status of wsgi

Garrett Smith g at rre.tt
Thu Oct 11 16:57:00 CEST 2012

On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 11:52 PM, Tal Liron <tal.liron at threecrickets.com> wrote:
> I'll point out two possibly obvious things:
>
> 1. Most of what we consider "web" is indeed really "synchronous," in that
> there is likely a thread doing something (quickly if you want to scale!) and
> then sends us a response. But, there's nothing in particular that says that
> an asynchronous server can't handle that at the low level. Indeed, plenty of
> people build traditional web servers over asynchronous servers such as
> Tornado, Node.js or Jetty. I maintain that they often are doing so for the
> wrong reasons: asynchronicity does not guarantee graceful deterioration,
> especially if you (most likely) have a thread pool on top actually
> generating the content. (And, actually, many of the web servers that perform
> best under load are "synchronous" servers. They're just very smart about
> handling load, duh.) As a side note, there are implementations of HTTP/1.1
> chunking that create better throughput via some asynchronicity at the server
> level. As far as I know, this is not part of the WSGi spec, but some
> implementations may cache entities and chunk them... although, I would be
> surprised if any Python WSGi server does that. Would love to hear otherwise!

Yah, excellent point. This is sort of what I was getting at with the
question -- I've seen WSGI work very well for vanilla HTTP, but there
are bits of the HTTP protocol I haven't had a lot of experience with
(implementing chunking, e.g.) and I have no idea WTF web sockets are
:)

> 2. Actually, the Comet protocol for AJAX is truly asynchronous, in that a
> connection from the client is opened and stays open. They are not typical
> client-server requests by any means: if each of these connections held a
> thread on the server, you can forget about scalability. They are also not
> very typical AJAX, but some people like them. Again, not something that WSGi
> can help you with.

I'll need to dig some more to see how various WSGI compliant servers
handle this -- from what I've seen it involves cleverness with environ
and callback/coroutine aware helpers.

In a strict functional model, this could be handled using callbacks
(or monad like things), at the expense of sequential coherency.