[Chicago] Python on OSX Install

Ryan Manly ryan.manly at gmail.com
Fri Oct 12 01:33:56 CEST 2012

I am a noob. I bought the 4th Edition book a few weeks ago and I signed up
for that Coursera course last week, I think.

But what is wrong with using the installer from Python.org? I mean aside
from simply setting CFLAGS or something at compile time?

A simple

export
PYTHONPATH=$PYTHONPATH:/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/Extras/lib/python:/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/Extras/lib/python/PyObjC

even gets you access to Foundation in 2.7.3. Without any super obvious
errors in my (really) limited usage.

Truly curious if there are other reasons people are using brew and source
for more than just compile time tweaks.

Thanks,
Ryan M. Manly
Glenbrook High Schools