[Chicago] Python on OSX Install

Rob Kapteyn robkapteyn at gmail.com
Fri Oct 12 02:11:16 CEST 2012

There is nothing wrong with using the installer from python.org.
That is the preferred way to do it.
But, as I wrote, the installer python runs in 32-bit mode on MacOSX, and I
wanted to try it running in 64-bit mode.  (That may have changed)
 IIRC, it really doesn't make any difference, and it breaks some
third-party modules that I needed2.
The only reason I can see for building 64-bit python would be if your
executable needed more that 4GB of RAM -- not a normal case by any means ;)
-Rob

On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 6:33 PM, Ryan Manly <ryan.manly at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am a noob. I bought the 4th Edition book a few weeks ago and I signed up
> for that Coursera course last week, I think.
>
> But what is wrong with using the installer from Python.org? I mean aside
> from simply setting CFLAGS or something at compile time?
>
> A simple
>
> export
> PYTHONPATH=$PYTHONPATH:/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/Extras/lib/python:/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/Extras/lib/python/PyObjC
>
> even gets you access to Foundation in 2.7.3. Without any super obvious
> errors in my (really) limited usage.
>
> Truly curious if there are other reasons people are using brew and source
> for more than just compile time tweaks.
>
> Thanks,
> Ryan M. Manly
> Glenbrook High Schools
>

> On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 5:25 PM, Rob Kapteyn <robkapteyn at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I haven't done this for a while.
>> From what I recall, the "canned" python build is a 32-bit and I wanted to
>> try out 64-bit python.
>> According to my own notes:
>>
>> building python on Snow Leopard:
>> ./configure --enable-framework MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET=10.6
>> --with-universal-archs=intel --enable-universalsdk=/
>> Optionally:  --with-framework-name=python64
>>
>> After this configure, the usual:
>> make
>> sudo make install
>>
>> Hope that helps.
>> -Rob
>>
>> On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 4:00 PM, Tom Yarrish <tom at yarrish.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hey all,
>>> So I wanted to find out if there is a decent install doc on getting
>>> Python 2.x (from source) running correctly on OS X (in this case 10.6
>>> and higher).  I'm still in the process of googling, but I wasn't sure
>>> if anyone had a good reference guide to work off of.
>>>
>>> I've seen a lot about how there are some minor annoyances in how Apple
>>> packages it, and I run into some of them now and then when I'm trying
>>> to install some python modules that are more geared for *nix systems.
>>>
>>> So aside from running a Linux VM to do my Python stuff, are there any
>>> other good resources to look at?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Tom