[Chicago] Prevent access to method as attribute

Daniel Uber djuber at gmail.com
Tue Oct 16 19:10:09 CEST 2012

Well, I for one am guilty of doing just this to objects. Switching between smalltalk and python gives me a headache when sending unary messages and calling functions without arguments doesn't line up right in my head.

If there is a good, clean, global way to do this, I'd love to see it. Maybe if 'if' were stricter about boolean values (expecting True), it would be a simple idea, but that's a language and idiom shift everywhere else. Short of that, just checking to see if the return value is a function rather than a value (I know, a function _is_ a value), perhaps in an aware editor, is a better way to catch this type of mistake.

Dan Uber