[Chicago] Systems Administrator at Imaginary Landscape

Cezar Jenkins emperorcezar at gmail.com
Wed Sep 12 21:54:06 CEST 2012

I'm glad to see you're using vagrant/chef. I'm pretty happy with it.

One thing I might suggest. I'm becoming a huge fan of PaaS solutions like Heroku/Dotcloud or Stacato/CloudFoundry/Openshift on your own iron. It's really nice to push up some code and have a running app.

Even if you don't have something like that, following 12factor (http://12factor.net) is a good way to develop. I've been using autoenv (https://github.com/kennethreitz/autoenv) with my django projects and have been happy to drop the settings/development.py and whatnot for pulling specifics from the environment.

For a set of reasons I won't go into we can't use heroku or stacato as work. So I've been working on a program and uses fabric to reach into a machine, rsync an app up, and run a heroku buildpack against it. It's not done yet, but you can see the work at https://github.com/emperorcezar/mash

Forgive the rambling! :)
--
Cezar Jenkins