[Chicago] Talk ideas for May

J. D. Jordan zanson at zanson.org
Wed Apr 24 22:31:16 CEST 2013

+1 for virtualenv, the more love virtualenv gets the better!  Knowing about
virtualenv has saved me a lot of pain over the past few years...

On Sun, Apr 21, 2013 at 10:24 AM, Randy Baxley <randy7771026 at gmail.com>wrote:

> +1 for virtualenv and on the where is your project going might could be a
> seperate discussion online that you could start online somewhere else if it
> is too much for this forum.  I like the idea of Vagrant but the one I tried
> to set up in Xubunto broke.
>

> On Sat, Apr 20, 2013 at 10:00 AM, Christopher Allan Webber <
> cwebber at dustycloud.org> wrote:
>
>> Hello all,
>>
>> It's been a while since I've given a talk at ChiPy.  I have several
>> topics queued up that I'd love to speak about:
>>
>>  - Hy: a lisp that transforms itself into the python AST.  It's really
>>    cool, and I think it may have an extremely interesting future!
>>
>>    http://hy.readthedocs.org/en/latest/
>>    http://hylang.org/
>>
>>  - Should MediaGoblin be a Django application?
>>
>>    ~2 years into being developed as a "django-like" web application that
>>    does not use django and in fact uses no framework and just cobbles
>>    together a bunch of good libraries, it's time for a reflection: was
>>    that the right choice?  What historical reasons lead to this
>>    decision?  Have the reasons stayed the same?  What have we learned?
>>    What would switching look like, and why should or shouldn't we?
>>
>>  - In-project virtualenvs (lightning talk)
>>
>>    This talk advocates for an unusual method of setting up a virtualenv
>>    that I believe will make things a lot easier for your contributors.
>>
>>  - Release your secret sauce
>>
>>    This talk is more of a social/philosophical talk about trends in web
>>    development.  Releasing libraries as FOSS is the hip/cool thing to
>>    do, but why aren't we seeing as many full web applications being
>>    released in such a manner?
>>
>> I am going to suggest I give talks on #1 and also #3 since it's super
>> short.  The other ones I'm still interested in talking about in the
>> near-future, though.
>>
>> Alternately we could do an ALL CHRIS WEBBER CHIPY wait that's a terrible
>> idea let's not.
>>
>>  - cwebb

-J. D. Jordan
Figure out this "Big Data" stuff!
Cassandra Summit 2013, June 11-12, San Francisco, CA
http://www.datastax.com/company/news-and-events/events/cassandrasummit2013