[Chicago] pydev

Jason Wirth wirth.jason at gmail.com
Sun Apr 28 17:35:45 CEST 2013

You said you are "finding it hard to master". Why so? You mean keyboard
shortcuts, or some specific IDE-type feature?

I've used both PyDev/Eclipse and PyCharm. Their feature set is very, very
similar. Ironically I bought a PyCharm license about a year ago but haven't
used it much. Lately I've just been editing stuff in Sublime because of
multiple cursors. (Actually my main environment is the IPython notebook.)

I'm considering jumping back to an IDE to do a little TDD. Both PyDev and
PyCharm have nice features that allow you to create a test, then from
inside your unittest code, add methods, properties, etc. to your actual
code. This is hard to explain, but you can see it in action here:
http://tv.jetbrains.net/videocontent/getting-started-with-pycharm

A lot of people don't like the weight of Eclipse. Fabio, the creator of
PyDev, is working to build LiClipse, a light weight, sexy (i.e. dark)
version of Eclipse. It's currently in crowd-funding status with 16 days
remaining and a couple hundred bucks left to go.

You can read more about LiClipse here:
http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/pydev-and-liclipse-for-a-fast-sexy-and-dark-eclipse

Fabio has done a great deal of work maintaining PyDev, and it's a huge
asset for the community; especially when beginners can from all the
benefits an IDE offers like completion, checks, etc.

--
Jason Wirth
    213.675.5294
    wirth.jason at gmail.com