[Chicago] Machine learning, all the cool kids are doing it.

Jason Wirth wirth.jason at gmail.com
Sun Apr 28 19:00:41 CEST 2013

The Coursera Machine Learning class taught by Andrew Ng at Stanford (
https://www.coursera.org/course/ml) just started (4/22) and I'm interested
if anyone wants to work through it with me. I've taken this course before
but only got about half way through it before getting busy and "dropping
out."

MOOCs are great, but they lack the community needed to have a successful
learning experience. More importantly, learning happens by doing--not by
watching videos--whether it's teaching someone else the material, working
through problems with a partner, or adapting the problems to be relevant
for your projects & internests.

One of the downsides about the course is that it uses Octave, not Python.
Despite that we could easily code the problems in Octave, then port them to
Python & Numpy or use equivalent functions in Scikts.learn.

So this time around I'm hoping to find someone interested in going through
it together, particularly with a Python focus. Any takers?

--
Jason Wirth
    213.675.5294
    wirth.jason at gmail.com