[Chicago] Best Ever

Martin Maney maney at two14.net
Fri Aug 2 22:10:15 CEST 2013

On Fri, Aug 02, 2013 at 11:11:32AM -0500, Brian Herman wrote:
> I could help you with git and svn if you need help with version control.
> This is a good book: http://git-scm.com/book

This blog post does a really nice job of explaining the mysterious
index.  I can't recall if Pro Git covers this essential bit of
infrastructure any better than the other books and documentation.  But
the index is actually the key to several common and useful techniques
for composing good commits even when you didn't know where you were
going when you started the day's work.  Which is really about 99% of
the time IME, since if you knew just what was needed that clearly it
was probably import this_magic_library and two or three lines of code,
not a day's work!

--
One discharges fancy homunculi from one's scheme
by organizing armies of idiots to do the work.  -- Dennett