[Chicago] shared ipynb packages

Carl Karsten carl at personnelware.com
Sun Aug 11 07:03:09 CEST 2013

On Sat, Aug 10, 2013 at 5:16 PM, Brian Curtin <brian at python.org> wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 10, 2013 at 4:10 PM, Tim Ottinger <tottinge at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Is the combination of virtualenv and pip not what you're looking for?
>
> Do virtualenv or pip work for IPython notebooks?

They do, this works as expected:
$ mkvirtualenv test
(test) $ pip install -r requirements.txt
(test) $ ipython notebook

But that doesn't solve the problem of easy distribution.
The root of this problem is the python thing (app, project, ..thing!)
distribution problem that pip/ve help with, but still are not what you
can get out of java land.  (assuming I understand what everyone is
talking about.)

To use pip/ve do these steps:
development box:
1. os, python version,
2. mkvirtualenv (maybe --site-packages) pip install stuff  (which may
need the compiler tool chain installed, which may require header files
or something - or do what I do and apt-get install anything that pip
is going to try to build)
3 .develop python thing,
4.  create requirements.txt.

to use python thing on another box:
production box:
1. os, python version,
2. mkvirtualenv (maybe --site-packages) pip install -r
requirements.txt  (which may need the compiler tool chain installed,
which may require header files or something - or do what I do and
apt-get install anything that pip is going to try to build)
3. use python thing.

>From what I understand of the java world:
development box:
1. os, java version,
2. similar stuff as #2 for python.
3. develop java thing
4. create jar (maybe more work than creating requirements.txt... but not much)

to use java thing on another box:
production box:
1. os, java version,
2. copy the jar onto the box.
3. use jar.

So the java development process is more work, but the deployment is
less, and about as simple as you can get.

Yes, there are ways of automating the python deployment process, which
reduces the deployment time and makes it more repeatable, but I don't
think the current tools (fabric, chef..) can be used to do anything a
simple as "copy the jar."

But but, going back to ipython notebook, it may not matter.  if 80% of
the time the person using the python thing wants source code and a
development environment, then they are going to have to setup a
development environment.

--
Carl K