[Chicago] Urban Sustainability Apps Competition

Dan Krol orblivion at gmail.com
Sun Aug 11 20:21:20 CEST 2013

Hi folks,

A friend of a friend is involved in running an urban sustainability apps
competition, put on by an organization called the Center for Neighborhood
Technology. I remember Random Hacks of Kindness got some interest here, and
this seems similar in nature. I'm not in Chicago anymore, but I thought you
guys might want to check it out.

Cheers,

-Dan

-----------

Here's the run-down:

What: Urban Sustainability Apps Competition

When: Tuesdays in October and a final round October 18th, 19th and 20th

Where: Tuesday meetings at 1871 (Merchandise Mart floor 12), final round at
TechNexus (20 N. Wacker Drive)

Why: To create apps and website that make low-to-moderate income Chicago
neighborhoods greener, more livable and more affordable

Cost: Free!

Sign-up: http://cntapps.splashthat.com/

Chicago's own neighborhood think tank, the Center for Neighborhood
Technology (CNT), is putting together an Urban Sustainability Apps
Competition. CNT is connecting community activists with coders, developers
and designers to come up with technological solutions for Chicago's
low-to-moderate income neighborhoods. Winners' creations--mobile apps,
websites and other tech tools--will reveal hidden economic assets, green
the neighborhood and make life easier, more livable and more fun.

Are you a community activist who's creative and knows the needs and assets
of your neighborhood? Are you a tech whiz who wants to make Chicago's
neighborhoods greener, more livable and more affordable? CNT wants you!

Teams will form at the digital startup incubator 1871 Tuesday evenings in
October. Then, October 18th-20th, teams will get their product ready to
pitch at TechNexus to a team of judges that includes Rayid Ghani, tech
genius and Chief Data Scientist for the 2012 Obama Campaign.

Winners are invited to pitch their new tool at CNT's 35th anniversary
Reinventing Chicago party at Red Frog Events on October 24th, and to
compete in the City of Chicago's championship apps competition in November.

Space is limited so sign up now at:         http://cntapps.splashthat.com/

If you've got questions, send a note to Edward Oser at eoser<at>cnt.org

Here's the schedule:

Tuesdays in October (Oct. 1st, 8th, 15th): 1871, 222 W. Merchandise Mart
Plaza, Floor 12

Start forming your groups and developing your ideas early! Free food and
drinks!

Friday-Sunday, October 18th-20th: TechNexus, 20 North Wacker Drive

Friday, October 18th: Celebrate the event kick-off at 7pm with food and
drinks.

Saturday, October 19th: Spend the day developing your platform. Breakfast,
lunch, and dinner will be served while you work.

Sunday, October 20th: Present your team's new tool to our guest judges from
leading tech and community organizations. Brunch at 10am | Presentations,
judging, and awards at 2pm

For more information about CNT, check out www.cnt.org to learn about 35
years of urban sustainability