[Chicago] Anyone heard of this?

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Thu Aug 15 22:42:20 CEST 2013

On Thu, Aug 15, 2013 at 1:08 PM, Brian Herman <brianherman at gmail.com> wrote:

> Python is a popular dynamic language with a large part of its appeal
> coming from powerful libraries and extension modules. These augment the
> language and make it a productive environment for a wide variety of tasks,
> ranging from web development (Django) to numerical analysis (NumPy).
> Unfortunately, Python's performance is quite poor when compared to modern
> implementations of languages such as Lua and JavaScript. [ CITATION NEEDED
> <--- as they say in Wikipedia ]

I'd say a footnote to a bunch of benchmark studies right here would do this
advertisement a world of good.

Python is in a performance niche that's true, and can't be seen as a race
horse in all races.

Actually closer to the truth is Python-the-jockey rides atop several horses
(VMs) rather successfully, with more horses to come most probably.

But why are we talking about Lua in particular and not Erlang?   Weird.

Kirby
PPUG
(Python's Portland User Group)

(URL re our latest meeting: