[Chicago] OT: Need a new hosting service

Chad Glendenin chad at glendenin.com
Wed Aug 21 17:49:24 CEST 2013

On Wed, Aug 21, 2013 at 10:33 AM, sheila miguez <shekay at pobox.com> wrote:

>> * How would I estimate cost?  What the heck is a "dyno hour"? I'd really
>> hate to get everything set up and then get a bill of $100 for the first
>> month.
>>

>  I haven't been charged yet because I'm using the lowest possible settings
> -- this can be annoying if you don't like that your app is going to go to
> "sleep". Right now, I don't care. You might, so it depends.

That's right, Heroku spins down your VM if it's inactive for some length of
time. I've heard that the standard trick for keeping your free Heroku site
up is to use one of those uptime services that pings the site periodically
(or does a "GET /" on port 80 or whatever) to reset the activity timer on
Heroku. I've never tried that trick, though, because so far I mostly use
Heroku for playing around with random things I don't really care about.