[Chicago] Easy Reports?

Lukasz Szybalski szybalski at gmail.com
Wed Aug 28 05:18:40 CEST 2013

Hello,

Do you know if there are any packages that allow easy data analysis? I'm
currently using mssql with 200 GB of data. Writing reports for each little
variation is starting to be very annoying, not to motioned time consuming.
Very fast I now have too many reports that are no longer valid as sales
change. Is there storage that will store the data (updated once a month),
and then provide some ui to analyze it?

For example I would load the data in the most detail view into some table
or some other format. Every part of information.

Then send user to some UI page where they would say:

I want all "sales" by zipcode
actually lets do all sales by zipcode and city, and lets sort by $, and
another by counts.
looks like we are selling in 60641, lets dig in
group by male, female, age, show counts, show $ (sort by any of the
combinations)
Then Vlookup (inner join) into product  table on product_id and lets sort
by $sales/$cost...etc....
etc.

I'm looking for "group by", sum(), Avg(), sort by hitting a column name.
Is there some python package that does it ? or a combination of different
packages? R?, etc....

Thanks
Lucas