[Chicago] ChiPy is Awesome

Adam Forsyth adam at adamforsyth.net
Thu Aug 29 00:57:21 CEST 2013

Let me know off list if you want / need access to the loading dock. I can
stay around however long so there is no rush getting packed up after the
meeting.

Otherwise, answers from our events team (aka Stephanie) below.

Podium - Something for the presenter to stand behind and put his laptop on.
YES

VGA Monitor on a small table near the podium - this will be what is being
displayed by the projector.  It is nice if you have it, but not at all a
requirement.
NO

Power to podium so the laptop doesn't have to run on batteries.
YES

15 pin VGA cable from podium to projector.  HDMI is cool, but not
everyone's laptop has it, and HDMI will not be recorded.
YES

Projector and screen
YES

PA system:
Amp and speakers - built in or freestanding.  Even if this is not needed
for the audience to hear the presentation (which is hard to predict), it is
needed to get good audio for the recording.  If you don't understand,
that's OK.
YES

Wireless headset - presenters will typically type, it is hard to hold a mic
and type.
We have a wireless headset, but the sound quality isn't as good as it is
with the hand mic.

Hand held mic - The MC needs something, and often it will be handed to
people to make a 30 second announcement.
YES

Unbalanced audio input from laptop - once in a while the presenter will
want to feed the audio from their laptop into the PA system.  Holding the
hand held mic next to the laptop speakers is often good enough.
We don't have an input from the speaker into the laptop. We've used the
handheld mic before and it's worked well.

Front Of House table 30' from podium. This is where the recording will
happen - big enough for 2 people with laptops power to table
We have a number of tables that can be moved around the room and used for
this.

Balanced line level between PA and table - either from or to, depending on
who is supplying mics.
Not sure what this means.

Wired ethernet from podium to table.
Internet connection  - 1.5mbs for streaming. (optional)
We have wireless internet. We don't have ethernet ports in the room where
the presentation will happen.

Chairs for 30 - 50.  Often many people will stand, so don't worry too much.
Table or 2 in back for pizza and beer.
Garbage can for garbage.
Recycling for bottles.
We have all of the above.

When does the RSVP list need to be submitted?
24 hours in advance. We have to enter each attendees name in our visitor's
system which can take some time. That said, we can always add last minute
RSVP's the day of.

What time can we start setting up the room.
5:00 pm

How long can we stay in the room?
As long as Adam is wiling to stay.

Where can AV equipment be unloaded?
There is limited street/meter parking in front of our building. Or a paid
lot across the street.