[Chicago] GitHub & SpamBayes

Steve Schwarz steve at agilitynerd.com
Tue Feb 5 02:48:35 CET 2013

On Mon, Feb 4, 2013 at 6:56 PM, Skip Montanaro <skip at pobox.com> wrote:

> How?  What will motivate people to do figure out that SpamBayes needs
> something if all they see is a blob of code in a Git repo?  That's
> what I don't get.  If I could somehow get a note out to all
> Windows-savvy Python developers on GitHub about SpamBayes' needs just
> by simply moving the code base there, I suppose I *could* just sit
> back and rake in the pull requests.  How does J. Random GitHub User
> know anything even needs doing?  That's what I don't understand.

If you want people to know what needs to be done you can create issues on
your github project too. It also lets users of the project know what the
known bugs are. If a bug really bothers someone they could start working on
it and issue you a pull request.

I've forked a couple projects for my own use and been surprised that other
people further branched my code and sent back pull requests for issues I
didn't know I had. No advertising is needed. It is the beauty of open
source development and the long tail.

Best Regards,
Steve
Blogs: http://agilitynerd.com/  http://tech.agilitynerd.com/