[Chicago] GitHub & SpamBayes

John Jacobsen john at mail.npxdesigns.com
Wed Feb 6 16:36:41 CET 2013

> Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2013 10:37:54 -0600
> From: Pallavi Anderson <pkaushik at alum.mit.edu>
> To: The Chicago Python Users Group <chicago at python.org>
> Subject: Re: [Chicago] GitHub & SpamBayes
>
>> The answer is between yes and no, siding towards no. If no one has
>> actively been contributing to it for years, Github isn't going to be
>> the silver bullet that has people jumping out from behind bushes to
>> contribute.

I've experienced both yes and no - I've put up a few projects at http://github.com/eigenhombre and most get ignored or occasionally starred.  But last year, after taking David Beazley's "write a compiler in Python" class (which I highly recommend if you ever get a chance), I put up a simple prototype for a Clojure implementation in Python which someone found and posted on Hacker News.  That project [1] has been forked several times and a few people made substantial contributions via pull requests, despite the fact that a different implementation [2] was further along (I eventually wound up contributing to that project).

If you can get something going like that, it feels great, but it can also start to be a lot of work just to manage the pull requests.

> Now having said all that, I love git, I absolutely love github, and this
> project was how I met Sheila and we became friends over the course of
> working on it :)

+1 to loving Git and GitHub -- they have both radically changed my workflow.  After a few months of using GitHub for personal projects I moved my primary work project there as well (as a paid-for private repository); the 3-4 other programmers who contribute all send pull requests which I can review and comment on line by line before we merge in their contributions.  There are things I wish worked better (like fine-grained control over notifications) but overall it's pretty awesome and seamless.

And I love being able to fix other people's bugs with pull requests -- even if they are just documentation or English bugs.

Cheers,
John

[1] https://github.com/eigenhombre/PyClojure
[2] https://github.com/halgari/clojure-py