[Chicago] Running matplotlib in 32-bit Python on OS X

Carl Karsten carl at personnelware.com
Thu Feb 14 17:56:38 CET 2013

On Thu, Feb 14, 2013 at 10:15 AM, Osman Siddique <osiddique at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi ChiPy,
>
> I'm in a rut so deep I can hang posters. I was hoping I could get some help
> from the many knowledgeable matplotlib users on the ChiPy mailing list.
>
> Here's my dilemma -
>
> I'm attempting to use matplotlib w/ the 32-bit version of wxPython. When I
> enter 'python-32 file.py' into my terminal, I get import errors that
> complain about matplotlib._png. However, if I do 'python file2.py' (file2.py
> being the file that contains the actual command to import matplotlib), I get
> no errors. Based on this, it seems that my problem is related to running
> python in 32-bit mode.
>
> I tried fixing the issue by using the 64-bit development release of wxPython
> for OS X, but this led to all sorts of thread related memory leak issues
> which are apparently a known bug.
>
> Basically, is there a way to get matplotlib and the 'python-32' directive to
> play nicely w/ each other?

Assuming what you want is possible, (and it has to be, right?)  I am
sure there are a few ways to make it work, some better than others.

What comes to mind: are you familiar with virtualenv?

I think that will help get all your versions aligned.

Even if it is of no help to this problem, all python developers should
be familiar with it.

--
Carl K