[Chicago] Site accounts

Adam "Cezar" Jenkins emperorcezar at gmail.com
Tue Jan 8 22:37:00 CET 2013

On Tue, Jan 8, 2013 at 3:21 PM, Jordan Bettis <jordanb at hafd.org> wrote:
> On 01/08/2013 02:47 PM, Adam "Cezar" Jenkins wrote:
>> As much as I wish they didn't, people use the same passwords for other
>> sites and I don't want to find out that we got compromised and peoples
>> passwords got out there because we forgot to update Django or
>> something else.
>
> Isn't it kinda nannyish to assume that a bunch of python programmers are
> going to have bad password hygiene and therefore shouldn't be allowed to
> create their own password for the site if they want to?

Not assuming a bunch, assuming a few. Whether we like it or not, some
people don't have good password hygene. Statistically it's going to be
the case. If the site were something that was someone's paying job to
look over, or did something complex that would be fine.

As it is, I'd rather Google's security team deal with the latest
threats than laying that on the shoulder of some chipy person.

> PS: We shouldn't need an account to RSVP

This is on the to-do list. It's difficult because you want to allow
someone to reverse their RSVP also. Doing so without an account is
something that will take some UX consideration. Which I would love
feedback on.