[Chicago] aaronsw memorial hackathon documentation

sheila miguez shekay at pobox.com
Thu Jan 24 18:37:59 CET 2013

On Thu, Jan 24, 2013 at 11:11 AM, Sean Farley
<sean.michael.farley at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 24, 2013 at 10:17 AM, sheila miguez <shekay at pobox.com> wrote:
[...]
>> I have mixed feelings about Mendeley due to the possible buy out by
>> Elsevier.
>
> That would be a huge disappointment.
>
>> Maybe it is akin to how people feel when google buys a
>> company?
>
> Absolutely not. Elsevier is purely evil and that is all I will say
> about them on a public list.

Well, there are other tools we could look at. I wasn't sure how
ambivalent to be. I didn't know if it would be like Google getting
etherpad, or like yahoo getting delicious, or like twitter getting
twitter and killing use of its api by third party clients.

>> On the other hand, a lot of scientists use the tool and I
>> would like to help the population of scientists. And, if devs in
>> Mendeley have requests and are willing to talk to me, I appreciate
>> that and it would help for a hack night. And, they do have open source
>> tools that interact with their api.
>
> We will have to see. I've heard of other apis and whatnot and this
> meeting might be a good reason for me to investigate those more
> thoroughly.

Yeah, I tried to list alternatives in the gist, and I've also been
trying to follow discussions here and there and in the other mailing
list and have bookmarked some of what I've found.

check #mendelete on twitter, for some example commentary

https://plus.google.com/u/0/117663015413546257905/posts/NqpsAJHYHHp
for a g+ discussion

--
sheila