[Chicago] Meetup group

sheila miguez shekay at pobox.com
Sat Jul 6 19:14:37 CEST 2013

I decided to keep it going for a while. I don't think it hurts anything,
but it if does start to have negative side effects, I'll step down. I went
ahead and listed the upcoming meeting on the site, and we can see if any
new people show up based on the post.

http://www.meetup.com/ChiPyFans/events/128230012/

On Tue, Jun 25, 2013 at 9:13 AM, Adam "Cezar" Jenkins <
emperorcezar at gmail.com> wrote:

> Meetup's interface does has a lot of issues. Meetup's only saving grace is
> it's network of people. I only use it as advertisement for new members. In
> that regard it does well.
>
> Sadly you can't turn off RSVPs in the interface. You also can't turn off
> "no" rsvps.
>
> Chipy doesn't have an issue getting members, for that reason I don't think
> we should use Meetup.
>

> On Tue, Jun 25, 2013 at 8:49 AM, Skip Montanaro <skip at pobox.com> wrote:
>
>> > Not to mention that there are several exclusively meetup.com Python
>> user
>> > groups around the country that operate essentially as walled gardens of
>> > gatekeepers: huge numbers of people in groups who don't seem to be able
>> > communicate with one another.
>>
>> As a member of the python.org postmaster team, I once needed to get in
>> touch with someone who was a member (or perhaps leader) of the DFW (I
>> think) Python group.  Talk about a PITA!  I had to register for the
>> group, get approved, try and reach the guy through Meetup's web
>> interface, then eventually disconnect from the group to keep from
>> getting drivel of one kind or another.  I no longer remember all the
>> details, but it was certainly more difficult to communicate than I
>> thought it should have been.
>>
>> Unless there is evidence that the Meetup interface really brings
>> people here, I'd vote to get rid of it.
>>
>> Skip

sheila