[Chicago] Meetup group

Chris Calloway cbc at unc.edu
Tue Jun 25 15:41:55 CEST 2013

On 6/24/2013 5:57 PM, Brian Curtin wrote:
> Some groups like Boston and Atlanta use meetup exclusively. I don't
> believe I've seen groups using both their own site/mailing list &&
> meetup.

My group does:

http://tripython.org

and

http://www.meetup.com/tripython/

I don't recommend it. It hasn't been good for us. If you want to know
why, email me offline. I don't want to clog up your email list with my
overflowing bile for meetup.com. Having a duplicate presence on
meetup.com simply satisfies certain factions within our user group. But
overall, having a meetup.com duplicate presence has not been good for
the community aspect of my local Python community. Bigger is not the
same as better. If you don't understand that, look at the Python pages
on Facebook or G+.

Not to mention that there are several exclusively meetup.com Python user
groups around the country that operate essentially as walled gardens of
gatekeepers: huge numbers of people in groups who don't seem to be able
to communicate with one another. Brian, I'm sure you've experienced this
when trying to communicate PyCon deadlines to meetup.com groups. It goes
against the "open" clause of the new PSF code of conduct.

--
Sincerely,

Chris Calloway http://nccoos.org/Members/cbc
office: 3313 Venable Hall   phone: (919) 599-3530