[Chicago] trying to find old post on wrist therapy for RSI

Jordan Bettis jordanb at hafd.org
Fri Mar 1 00:19:25 CET 2013

I've had mild tendinitis problems for a few years now. It seemed to be
exaserbated by the mouse so I try to avoid mice. I really like the
thinkpad touchpoint because I can use it with either index finger. On my
desktop I use a wacom tablet.

But the most important thing is to not exacerbate the problem by
ignoring the pain. Since tendinitis is inflammation, drinking plenty of
water helps, as does putting ice on it. But mostly you have to rest the
wrist and let the inflammation go back down.

A few months ago I banged my right wrist into a door knob I was walking
by. After that I had pain like tendinitis but it was also combined with
tingling and numbness in my fingers that I'd never felt before. I did my
normal tendinitis care: resting it as much as possible, water, and ice,
but that was only partially effective. My fingers especially felt numb
in the morning and then that would turn into pain later in the day. I
finally started splinting my wrist at night before going to bed, and
then bought one of these:

http://www.drugstore.com/maxar-wrist-splint-with-abducted-left-thumb-black-x-large/qxp254962

I wore it as much as possible but especially at night, and the pain and
numbness cleared up after about a week. I still wear it most nights even
though my hand hasn't bothered me in a while because it's no big deal to
put it on.