[Chicago] Pycon in Chicago?

Brian Ray brianhray at gmail.com
Fri Mar 8 15:16:33 CET 2013

It was not a loss at all. It may have lost some money; although, it was
hugely popular. I think I recall something regarding
unexpected catered meals at sprints was one major cost we did not expect.
PSF recovers quickly and is not there to make it rich.

In the '08 survey 89% of those who took it (over 60% of attendees) rated
"your overall satisfaction with PyCon 2008 in general" High or above.
.
ChiPy put the bid package together and brought it here. It was people like
Ted Pollari, Carl Karsten, Chris McAvoy and countless others who made it
happen. It was really an excellent bid. They did amazing work. There was a
lot of blood sweat and tears once it got here. We all learned a lot from
the experience.

Truth is, however, I do believe the statement that Rosemont is not Chicago
is true.  Chicago is famously good for having the best trade show
conferences in the country. We can bring PyCon back to Chicago. And now
that we have a new-scene and new resources in downtown Chicago we can make
it happen here. It is a huge undertaking; however, Chicago is very well
suited for this conference. It simply is twice the size and it needs
big shoulders  It would require a lot of work on the park of some very
dedicated ChiPy members. However, it is a very reasonable goal.

I am not sure I have the resources to lead this bid personally; however, I
will be more than happy to contribute. I have lots of ideas how we can
leverage some relationships in downtown Chicago to make this happen.

Cheers, Brian

On Fri, Mar 8, 2013 at 7:50 AM, Adam "Cezar" Jenkins <emperorcezar at gmail.com

Brian Ray
@brianray