[Chicago] deployment shootout? was: deploying ...

Carl Karsten carl at personnelware.com
Wed Nov 20 20:33:42 CET 2013

I am thinking of a Chicago dev-ops meeting that will be like the
language shootout, only for deployment tools.  If I can get 5 people
to say they might attend and one that says they might present, I might
go ahead with this.  so not looking for commitment, just interest.

  I don't have a date, I need to talk to the devops group leader, and
I don't even know who that is, but I want to make sure someone would
bother showing up before I put any more effort into it.

fabric, chef, puppet, salt, ansible (just heard about it yesterday)
glu?
am i missing any?
if someone wants to do bash... sure. we need comic relief.

On Wed, Nov 20, 2013 at 1:12 PM, sheila miguez <shekay at pobox.com> wrote:
> This swaying me towards fabric for a first attempt at automating the setup.
> I don't know that I'll get to this step this week because it depends on how
> priorities go at work (the deployment stuff is "invisible" work).
>
> Then maybe I can ask for some code review at python office hours.
>

> On Wed, Nov 20, 2013 at 12:25 PM, Steven McGrath <steve at cugnet.net> wrote:
>>
>> fabric++
>>
>> I actually use fabric for most deployment and management stuff.  One of my
>> prod backup scripts is leveraging fabric for pulling everything together.

>> On November 20, 2013 at 12:05:15 PM, Daniel Fehrenbach
>> (dnfehrenbach at gmail.com) wrote:
>>
>> I've stared using Fabric for deploying stuff at work. I only have 1 server
>> (with a similar stack to Sheila's) where everything lives so I am not
>> dealing with a lot of different hosts or very rapid deployment time tables.
>> Personally, I found that it was easier to go from my standard text file of
>> copy/pasted lines of terminal inputs to a fabfile than to a
>> chef/salt/ansible framework but I was never able to devote much time to
>> learning the higher caliber tools.
>>
>> Dan
>>
> [...]
>
> --