[Chicago] Talk on my reproducible science project?

sheila miguez shekay at pobox.com
Fri Nov 22 17:29:03 CET 2013

Yeah, I think it might be more interesting to the djangonauts group unless
there is a quorum of people interested here.

Carl mentioned a bunch of things in my requirements... I guess I'd probably
hit on:

Heroko -- things one needs to learn to run django projects on heroku.
Mostly I think people would want to know about collectstatic,
django-storages, and environment variable driven configuration.

RESTful stuff - how I wish I knew about django-rest-framework way back at
the beginning of my project because then I might have done everything with
django-rest-framework and a bunch of javascript rather than using django
frontend stuff. I emailed pydanny to see if he or someone had written a
blog post about this due to seeing his recommendation of angularjs and
django-rest-framework in django-cookiecutter yet also recommending a bunch
of packages like django-crispy-forms and other things that seem a bit
counter to that. So, which way would one go in either direction and why? I
can't answer that insightfully, but I want to know so it should go in a
talk. Also, I want people to talk to me about DRY and how to handle
javascript crap versus django crap.

Testing - I want to avoid this in my talk due to how embarrassed I am about
the lack of testing.

Sunk cost fallacy - django-profiles and django-registration seemed
reasonable at first despite the lack of documentation but dealing with the
slowness in waiting for a pull request got to be a pain so I dumped
everything and switched to django-allauth.

Haystack - by the time I'd give a talk I will probably blah blah a little
about that and elasticsearch or whatever happens int he next few days. who
knows.

gunicorn - I've already blah blah blahed about this in the other mailing
list thread, so I might say one sentence about it.

I think all of the above is more on topic for djangonauts than chipy and
they do end up coming up in a djangonauts meeting I will invite you.

On Thu, Nov 21, 2013 at 7:57 PM, eviljoel <eviljoel at linux.com> wrote:

> Hey Sheila,
>
> I might get something out of this because I only know some very basic
> Django.  However, I suspect most people would be more interested in
> other talks.
>
> Thanks,
> eviljoel
>
> On Thu, Nov 21, 2013 at 10:57 AM, sheila miguez <shekay at pobox.com> wrote:
> >
> > Carl thought that a talk on what I've been working on might be
> interesting,
> > but I did explain to him that it is just a django site so that there is
> > nothing especially interesting to it. He's been debating this with me a
> > little.
> >
> > What do people think? I could explain the motivations behind the project,
> > and also discuss why I picked django, and going from a new django
> developer
> > to an intermediate django developer.
> >
> > This could be a beginner to intermediate talk about django.
> >
> > I could instead maybe talk to the djangonauts user group if the topic
> isn't
> > good for chipy.
> >
> > --
> > sheila