[Chicago] Talk on my reproducible science project?

Carl Karsten carl at personnelware.com
Sat Nov 23 01:35:54 CET 2013

If you are interested in Django[0], then I highly recommend becoming
familiar with VM foo.  it is easy enough to become proficient enough
for it to solve some problems you will eventually want to solve.

I use qemu and bash scripts to set them up and stuff, but I hear this is better:

http://www.vagrantup.com/

like pretty much hands down everyone says use it.   So start there,
and work towards "install ubuntu LTS, run carl's scripts, report what
happens."  I suspect some sort of error.

hint

"After running the above two commands, you'll have a fully running
virtual machine in VirtualBox running Ubuntu 12.04 LTS 32-bit. " -
http://docs.vagrantup.com/v2/getting-started/index.html

Do that!

That should take you less time than the Django tutorial. The only
hurdle that is a bit daunting is you should go into your bios and make
sure cpu virtulaization is enabled. [1][2]

[0] - I mentioned Django because you did, but being able to spin up
VMs can be very handy in all sorts of situations. Testing server
deploy is one, but there are reasons to use them for production too.

[1]  After you have confirmed that your processor supports VT, you may
need to enable the support:
VT must be enabled in the host system BIOS. The feature may be named
VT, Vanderpool Technology, Virtualization Technology, VMX, or Virtual
Machine Extensions. Often, you find this setting under a Security
screen in the BIOS. The location of this setting varies depending on
the system vendor.

[2]  http://askubuntu.com/questions/103965/how-to-determine-if-cpu-vt-extensions-enabled-in-bios

On Fri, Nov 22, 2013 at 3:18 PM, Bob Haugen <bob.haugen at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 22, 2013 at 2:40 PM, Carl Karsten <carl at personnelware.com> wrote:
>> Do you (or someone who wants to jump on this) have some time to help
>> debug the live stream setup?
>>
>> Using some flavor of VM (or a real box if you want)
>
> I apologize for my lameness, but I live in a canyon in the woods (for
> real), have never installed a VM, and don't have a real box that would
> do what is needed.  Way over my head. Would take me some days to
> figure out how to think about it. Best if somebody with at least a
> half a clue goes ahead.
>
> If nobody steps up, I'll start figuring it out.

Carl K